Potato + Green Tomato Gratin
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp chopped rosemary
- Salt + freshly cracked pepper
- 2 Tbsp butter, cold and cubed
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled + thinkly sliced w/ a mandoline
- 5 large green tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400°F
- In a bowl, mix together the stock, cream, Parmesan, garlic and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the first layer, place half of the butter cubes on the bottom of a large round gratin dish and add a single layer of the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the stock mixture overtop, then add a layer of tomatoes. Use the remaining potatoes on the next layer, followed by the ramining tomatoes. Pour the remaining stock mixture overtop.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft and the top is golden. If the cheese starts to brown too soon—about halfway through baking time—you may need to cover the dish with aluminum foil. Remove from the oven and let sit for a few minutes before serving.
COOK'S NOTE: You can use unripe red tomatoes instead of green, like in this photo (pop them in a paper bag on a sunny windowsill to soften a bit). For a more rustic version, keep the potato skins on.