Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 30 mins
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, leaves torn from the stalks
- 1 small head radicchio, halved and sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 3 Cara Cara oranges (reserve one for the dressing)
- 1 shallot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, pan-roasted
- 4 oz. aged Pecorino, shaved
- 2 tbsp fresh mint
For the dressing:
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Fleur de Sel or Maldon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Make the dressing: combine orange juice, vinegar, Dijon, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Whisk in olive oil until dressing is emulsified. Set aside.
- Using a sharp chopping knife, slice off the top and bottom of two of the three oranges. Then cut away peel and pith. Slide your knife down one side of each segment, cutting it away from its membrane and lifting it out.
- Toast sliced almonds in a skillet over medium heat. Stir frequently and watch carefully, as they can go from golden brown to burnt very quickly.
- Using bunches at a time, use a sharp knife to thinly slice the kale for a finely shredded result.
- Create a chiffonade of mint by rolling the leaves and finely slicing them into ribbons.
- Combine kale, raddichio, almonds, shallots, mint, shaved Pecorino and orange sections. Season with dressing and any additional salt and pepper to taste just prior to serving.