From Claudia Roden & featured in Food 52 Genius Recipes.
- 2 large oranges
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons (225g) ground almonds
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon (225g) sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Butter or oil for the pan
- Flour or more ground almonds for the pan
- Wash the oranges and simmer them, unpeeled, in water to cover for 2 hours. Cool, cut them open and remove the seeds. Puree the oranges, including the peel, in a food processor.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Beat the eggs in a food processor or large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients, including the orange puree, and mix thoroughly. Pour into a buttered and floured cake tin, with a removable base if possible.
- Bake for one hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the tin before turning out.