Grown Up Mac and Cheese
Makes about 2 cups.
2 cups uncooked pasta: cavatappi, gemeli, campanele or penne rigate
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 3 ounces extra-old Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt, freshly ground pepper
- Bread crumbs (or substitute with crushed saltine crackers)
- Basil of parsley as garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large pot, add pasta to boiling, salted water. Cook according to package directions, normally 6-8 minutes. Do not overcook. Drain.
Melt the butter in a medium pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk (you can microwave or heat it in a pot on low heat) and cook for a minute or 2 more, until thickened and smooth. Remove from heat and add the cheeses, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into 2 individual size ramekins.
Sprinkle bread crumbs Place the bread slices in a food processor fitted with a steel blade and pulse until you have coarse crumbs. Add the basil and pulse to combine. Sprinkle with bread crumbs or crushed crackers and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.